Coking coal quality results establish Jan Karski as a high value ultra-low ash coking coal mine
Prairie Mining Ltd is pleased to announce the results of enhanced coal quality analysis and test work from a recently completed borehole (Cycow 9) at the Jan Karski Mine. Key results from the expanded coke oven and washability test work indicate the potential to produce a high value ultra-low ash SSCC with a high CSR, with a high 75% product yield.
Preliminary analysis by independent consultants indicates that the Jan Karski Ultra-low ash SSCC could achieve a 10% premium to international SSCC benchmark prices, due to several superior qualities.
– Recent coal quality testwork establishes the potential to produce high value ultra-low ash semisoft coking coal (SSCC) at Jan Karski
– Independent analysis by coal market consultants predicts that Jan Karski ultra-low ash SSCC would potentially realise a 10% premium to international benchmark SSCC prices
– Washability results demonstrate the ability to produce ultra-low ash (<3%) semi soft coking coals that are in high demand from global stealmakers due to the considerable commercial advantages of enhanced “value in use” and lower CO2 emissions
– Coke oven tests demonstrated exceptional results with Coke Strength after Reaction (CSR) of 51.5, exceeding typical CSR parameters of internationally traded semi soft coking coals
– Preliminary washplant flow sheet redesign anticipates a significantly upgraded product split of 75% ultra-low ash semi-soft coking coal, and is not expected to result in a reduction of overall saleable coal product yields, or material project cost increases
– Preliminary discussions with select European steel makers have confirmed the suitability of ultra low ash, high CSR semi-soft coking coals to be utilised in coke oven blends
– Benchmarking of the Jan Karski ultra-low ash SSCC against semi-soft coking coal currently produced by OKD in the Czech Republic demonstrates the potential of the Jan Karski product to replace these coals in the regional market
To download the full announcement now please click here.